2009-05-14

The Pittsburgh Left

I was warned about this before I experienced my first one. The "Pittsburgh Left" consists of a car or truck in the oncoming traffic's laft-turn lane making that turn from a stop light (or sign) immediately in front of you. When you're the first car at a stop light and someone swings a very fast left turn just as you take-off, chances are, you're in Pittsburgh.

I was absolutely amazed at this for several months (it also curbed my Los Angles "quick take-off" reflexes). Then it dawned on my why this seems to be common around here. In the short time I've been here, I've discovered that PGH drivers are VERY courteous, very polite. They don't play silly games at high speeds on the freeway (unlike LA). They will allow people to change lanes without trying to crowd them out - they're the most courteous drives I've experienced. So ... when someone is at a stop light in this city of such narrow streets, the person turning left may have to wait quite a while to make the turn, so the oncopming driver usually lets the first car turn before proceeding. I think this is wonderful, but GEEZ, how about some warning!!!

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment